– Do you remember how, when and why in your life cats of the Ragdoll breed appeared?
– This special kindness in their eyes … I didn’t even know then that it was called Ragdoll, I just needed a short-haired cat in addition to the Persian Cherelle The Best. But when I first saw this doll, I realized that I was taking it home.
– Your first cat or Ragdoll cat: please tell us the story of the appearance of this pet.
– I was looking for a cat, and my whole trip I was just raging events. It all started with an exhibition in the vicinity of Milan, where I was thinking of finding cats and cats for breeding. I did not think about the Ragdolls then and did not know that they would be there, but the only beautiful cats were exactly two Ragdolls. They were sisters Sissi and Susanna of blue mitted-tabby color, however, they were 6 months old. One of them, Sissi, looked at me kindly and inquiringly. So I decided to come closer, asked the breeder for permission to take the animals in my arms – and now, as if by magic, Sissi purrs in my arms, squints her blue eyes and is happy to squeeze, while Valentino Papandrea, their young breeder, explains it was hard for me to sell the cat because of its wary attitude towards strangers. Trying to hold back emotions I did not dare to give my miracle back and agreed on a sale. I also did not dare to separate the sisters and agreed to sell a second cat. Sissi has such a cute look, and Susanna is just beautiful.
– “Ragdoll” – Do you like this name? What associations does it cause you personally?
– I like this name, the word itself is obviously borrowed and therefore I had to find a translation, but I like not only the sound but also the meaning: these cats really look like pupae.
– Please name the 5 main advantages of the Ragdolls and the 5 main disadvantages of the breed … if they exist.
– First of all, Ragdolls are the best antidepressant: they radiate calm, their eyes relax, they see that you are nervous, and by all means, calm you down, set you up in a positive way. Is the breed ideal or am I so fascinated by it, but I don’t see any flaws in the breed.
– Many people call the Ragdoll breed very difficult to breed. What do you think?
– I don’t think so, there are no more difficulties with this breed than with others.
– What are the main difficulties in breeding you can call, as a breeder?
– Breeding is another question, everything is more complicated and does not always work out the first time. There were problems when the cat could not feed the kittens due to mastitis, I had to take care of the kittens manually. At the moment, everyone is alive and well. I must say that this incident greatly influenced me… In general, this is a fairly measured and predictable process, and when such excesses occur, I consult with other breeders. As a rule, we find a solution.
– Please answer as a breeder: is the Ragdoll breed suitable for everyone?
– Yes, but do not forget that they are still cats and need attention and a good attitude.
“Even like the first cat?”
With the support of experienced breeders, you will surely do everything right.
– What advice do you usually give to people buying a kitten in your kennel?
First of all, I advise them to make sure the safety of their home for new residents. It is necessary to pay attention to windows and balconies since cats do not see the danger in them until it is too late. Although they are called “dolls,” they behave like little moose. If you have children, explain to them that the Ragdolls cannot be squeezed like ordinary cats – “until the first scratches”: these creatures are more helpless, and we must protect them.
– Some people are afraid to start the Ragdolls, as they have heard enough or read about the “genetic changes” that this breed has undergone. What could you say about this?
– The breed has no inherited defects.
– The Ragdolls, as you know, have a special coat, thick, long. Is it difficult to care for?
“Not that it’s too complicated.” Maintaining the Ragdolls at their peak is a technical matter, you just need to have a metal scallop and comb out your pets twice a week. During molting, you can do this more often, for example, daily, but in general, it does not take more than a few minutes a day.
– What is your favorite Ragdoll color?
– Blue. I like to bring bright colors to everything, chocolate and power cats do not cause a response in me.
– What is your favorite character trait of the Ragdolls?
– The complete absence of aggression and absolute attachment, calmness and confidence, and at the same time the ability to make polite and rather sweet remarks with your voice on occasion.
“How do these cats get along with their fellow tribesmen and other animals?”
– I have the experience of calmly keeping them along with other Ragdolls, dogs, and parrots. I can’t say anything about other pets.
– Is it true that this cat should never be left alone?
– Absolute truth! From loneliness, they get sick and suffer, they need your presence, although in extreme cases if you are often away, you can get a couple more kittens.
– Sometimes you hear that the Ragdolls are not too smart. What would you answer to those who think so?
“I can’t confirm that.” Like any animal, they have intelligence and personality traits, and we can assume that they are slowly developing. But they are smart enough.
– How much does a Ragdoll kitten cost? What makes up this price?
– They are not too expensive, the cost is comparable to kittens of other breeds, as it seems to me. In Europe, prices range from 800 to 1,500 euros, depending on whether you need a pet cat or a show class. Prices are not biting, considering how much-purebred puppies cost today or how much a breeder puts into it.
“Are they picky about food?” Do you yourself usually recommend natural nutrition or the use of professional feed?
– I had no problems with nutrition. They eat both dry and wet food, homemade products and ground cat meat. From home-made meat I give them a white bird, I give steamed fish, I buy high-quality canned food, I recommend cereal-free dry foods.
– They say that the Ragdolls are hypoallergenic, is that true?
– This is not true. At least, I did not see any evidence of this, and scientists did not declare this. Sibiryakov and Norwegians are classified as hypoallergenic breeds with reservations, but I will say that several allergy sufferers, after checking, bought my kittens and did not complain later.
– What kind of affectionate words do you call your Ragdolls?
– I call them loved and, as a rule, return to nicknames when I scold them for something. Simply put, I treat them like children.